Monday, October 15, 2012

Blog 8 Beasts of No Nation

Book Cover

This is a book cover designed by Mary Schuck for Harper Collins. I read this book a few years ago but it had a different cover–a photograph of a grassy hill with some young men in silhouette standing atop the hill. Why they changed from the cover posted in Print Magazine, I will never know!

I love simplicity in design–when a designer can convey the message of a piece with uncomplicated illustrations, great color choices, and minimal text.  This cover is reminscent of one of my favorite designers, Saul Bass. It has lots of his trademarks: hand-drawn text, clean lines, simple graphics, and thoughtful use of color & space.

The main reason I am so attracted to this cover is that it evoked an emotional response for me. I remembered just how I felt when I was reading the book (as narrated by Agu): the overwhelming sadness as he sees his father murdered; the horror as he becomes a child soldier; the grief when he looses of faith in humanity; and the mixed-emotions of the unresolved ending of the book. I don't really like remembering the book because it was very hard to read nevertheless, the cover is highly successful since it triggered such an emotional response. I guess you might ask if I saw the original cover would I also have such a response? I have seen it several times while looking through my bookshelves and haven't given it a second thought. But who knows, it could be just because it has been there for years.


Source: Print Magazine Regional Design Annual, November/December 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment